Bizarre Bluetooth data corruption

Here’s a bizarre example of Bluetooth data corruption that I came across when downloading a picture from my phone last week. It looks like a few packets must have been dropped or had undetected errors, causing misalignment of the rest of the data.

kdk_0316

Here’s a close-up of the beginning of the corrupted area.

zoom

My second attempt to copy the picture from the phone was successful. I just found it surprising that the error was undetected, and that the JPEG still was decodable.

I found a couple of resources on Bluetooth data transport that might be interesting. I’d like to find some sort of characterization on the error rates in Bluetooth communication.